About

I started this blog when I moved to Japan as Assistant Language Teacher. I've since left and taught in France, and just recently moved to Australia. As such, I'll be upgrading this to a "travel" blog, with a lot of pictures and a few anecdotes. Use the labels to navigate by country (once I get to France), and enjoy!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

最高のペット -- The best pet

久しぶり… Sorry it's been a while, I tend to do that (as you've probably noticed). I'll update more trips and pictures when I get a chance, but I can't resist sharing my new pet!

A while back, a friend posted this on her tumblr. Marimo, aka moss balls. Obviously, being on the same island and decently close to Lake Akan, I immediately wanted one! Not to mention they're so easy to take care of and for some reason, ridiculously exciting. (Is it just me? Oh well.)

With another friend, I'd made passing comments how about we'd need to go visit/hike Lake Akan once the snow melts, etc, but today... Today I went to the airport, not to leave, but for shopping. How Japanese of me, I know. I don't know if people do that in Haneda or Narita (somehow I doubt it), but here in Chitose, they do that! It's a pretty awesome airport, full of shops and restaurants, next to an outlet mall... You get the picture.

So I was there, all excited to have taken a silly picture with a giant sheep advertising for ジェンギスカン (genghis khan a Hokkaido specialty, you grill lamb at your table and it's delicious), when lo and behold! What are those ugly green plushies/stuffed animals? A marimo character!? Ew. (Seriously, google/wikipedia it, it's not cute.) But wait a second, those couldn't be-- are they--?? Why yes, BINGO!!

After all those weeks, I finally acquired my new pet! Tada~!
And I get a plastic クリオネ (sea clione) as bonus!
Seriously, so excited!

Now I have to buy them water, because I lack a filter, and make sure they get light but not from the sun... Gosh, they kind of sound like vampires. Oh well, they're cool! I'll just have to a) find a way to take them on the plane with me, and b) remember to put them in the fridge if temperatures go over 30℃...

Don't you want one now? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment