About

I started this blog when I moved to Japan as Assistant Language Teacher. I've since left and taught in France, and just recently moved to Australia. As such, I'll be upgrading this to a "travel" blog, with a lot of pictures and a few anecdotes. Use the labels to navigate by country (once I get to France), and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

クリスマスの時期 -- Christmas season

Excuses from winterland. I realize it's almost April, and you might be wondering why I'm still updating about Christmas? Because this was mostly written. From now on, I'll try to update more quickly, I promise!

Before it snowed, just when winter was beginning, I wrote a haiku: 
寒くなる、おでんの季節、食べたいな。
(Here's a very rough translation: It's getting cold, the season of oden, I want to eat [some].) Don't ask me why I was trying to compose Japanese poetry in Japanese, but it felt right at the moment, a fun challenge perhaps?

As the title indicates, this post is meant as an overview of the Christmas season at the schools. Unlike Halloween, I was caught up in things and didn't have the time to make awesome posters for both schools, or realized too late how soon Christmas was creeping up. Honestly, time flew much too quickly! Especially since I was due to leave the 24th for my winter break.

In any case, I got the idea from the 触れ合いパーク (fureai paaku) which is a (roughly) monthly event where S. and I do something related to English, or American culture, usually followed by some activity. That time it was Christmas cards, after we read kids' books: Good Night Moon and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see? So we made cards, but not any card. A pop-up card! How neat! Now I don't know about you, but the last hand-made card, let alone thing, I made which was unrelated to school projects goes back ages.

Excited for this fun activity that would not only let students be creative, but the directions I gave them were pretty straight-forward, and coupled with gestures, relatively easy to understand. So I asked teachers of nearly all grades if we could make Christmas cards. The 3rd and 4th grade teachers said okay and much later (one or two days before) the 6th grade teachers said ok!

Now, I didn't meant this to be a two-lesson kind of activity for 3rd and 4th graders, but I had no previous knowledge of their cutting, gluing and coloring skills. So they took longer than originally thought, especially on the decorating part. Because that's what's important isn't it? The coloring! Decorating that big white piece of paper with a tree into a nice, cozy Christmas card. It still amuses me that when I showed them my finished card(s), they were all awed and said I was 上手 (jyouzu), or very good. I would certainly hope that at 23, I no longer color like a 3rd grader.

Over all, the majority of the kids seemed to enjoy it (the younger the better), especially when I mentioned they could bring stickers to decorate, and wow, some kids barely drew on the card filled to the brim with stickers! (Stickers are great prizes, regardless of grade.)

The second time around, I figured I should give them a Christmas present so to speak, so aside from walking around in my awesome winged Christmas hat (which kids seemed to want to rip off my head), I bought Christmas stickers and told them they could get one. Oh the anxiety and decisions into picking the right one! And everyone except 5th graders - with whom I didn't have class with the last two weeks of school - got a "special" sticker. I was quite happy when some kids gave me one back in exchange (aww!).

One point to denote would be that I wrote Joyeux Noël on the front of my cards, because that's a part of who I am, all that French-ness. So I was really surprised, yet so pleased, when one class started copying the words on their own cards! Maybe that's what internationalization is about, or maybe not, but they seemed happy and proud of themselves when they were done. Now I just wish I'd taken pictures of all their cards to post on here, but I suppose mine will have to do...

We made snowflakes too in one class, and after I got the hang of it, taped mine to the teacher's office door. :)

My two cards, with my awesome hat back home (in CA).
The tree and bird things decorated with Christmas stuff (ES).


As for the JHS, I played Christmas bingo with the 1st years (Christmas stickers for the first five winners), a Christmas word search with the 2nd years (more stickers), and a puzzle-like worksheet with the 3rd years, where each part gave a clue and the end was a sentence assembling those clues, and the majority enjoyed it. I just have to tell myself over and over that no matter what I do, some kids will find it boring, stupid, and not enjoy it, and I don't know if I can do anything about that, but I can try!

Like at the ES, I wore my winged Santa Claus hat and tried to convince my JTEs to wear the antlers I bought at Daiso (100 yen store), which... brought a lot of  かわいい!(kawaii), cute, or 似合う!(niau), it suits you, largely from female students, haha, at least it broke some more ice on a larger scale.
My weak attempt at Christmas decoration...


Me and a JTE, perfect pair!



And just because it's about Christmas and the snow fall this year was is incredible, enjoy some more pictures of snow! (This is all December, by the way, more to come about later... get your surprised faces ready!)

This either makes me laugh, or tear up..
Already started piling up...


Yes, those are icicles threatening my windows.
I mean, really... mini walls, already.






Progression of the icicles...
And still a few days later!

No comments:

Post a Comment