About

I started this blog when I moved to Japan as Assistant Language Teacher. I've since left and taught in France, and just recently moved to Australia. As such, I'll be upgrading this to a "travel" blog, with a lot of pictures and a few anecdotes. Use the labels to navigate by country (once I get to France), and enjoy!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

始まり -- A beginning

Before I begin writing, I thought I should give a brief explanation as to why I started this blog.

Once again, I feel like a part of my life has ended. For those who don't know, I say "once again" because the first time I closed a chapter of my life was when my family moved from France to California. I was 14, fresh out of middle school and moving to the unknown, basically by myself since all my support networks disappeared. This time around, the move (to Japan) was voluntary, and even met some resistance from my family (mainly due the disastrous aftermath of the March 11th earthquake in the Tohoku region). After graduating from college and moving out of my apartment, leaving my friends and "comfort" zone brought about familiar feelings.

Unlike the last time, however, the unknown was less daunting and less mystifying, the loneliness was at a minimum and hidden behind my craving for a new life adventure. Also, because I'd already been to Japan, I have a lot of amazing friends whom I can't wait to see again. The unknown in this new life equation would mostly be the town I now live in and the job I accepted. Before leaving, I certainly had a lot of doubts. Would I make a good teacher? What if, through experience, I discover I'm ill-fitted for this job? What if the kids don't like me? I can hardly break contract and go home. What would I do back in California anyway? I tell myself I took this job for at least two reasons: 
  1. putting off making decisions ponder my long-term career goals, 
  2. and the need to go back to Japan, which the earthquake accentuated.
Most of all, I believe I sent myself there with a purpose. If the universe (God(s), Buddha, the divine, etc) didn't want me there, I wouldn't be. I don't really know what for, or why, but I believe this is an essential step in my life, for growing and evolving as a person and influencing those around me. 

Following my road...
From this (and unforeseen help) stems the title of this blog: no two are alike. Not the students I have in class, not the teachers I'll work with, not the people in the town, and not even me. The me from yesterday and the me from today are different, having to learn, adapt and cope with the changes that come with each day. That makes us stronger, gives us the ability to look and go forward as well as (hopefully) seek to help each other. I also believe we're all part of the same world, thus my username (world citizen) because it doesn't matter how many passports you have, we all belong to this lovely planet we like to call Earth.

There are many things I aspire to, but if I could only do one thing every day, it would be to inspire others. Call me naive, I'll reply I'm an optimist. Remember that "misery loves company, but happiness stands alone." I believe in our potential for good, and I believe in you.
This is unrelated to Japan, it's actually in Montreal, Canada, but <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment